Regulated Tariffs, Fixed or Variable Energy: French Energy Pricing options
Energy pricing remains unclear for most consumers in France, even for those who were born here! What are regulated tariffs (tarifs réglementés)? Are they better than the competitive pricing offers? Here we explain your options for energy supply in France.
- The Basics
- There is no "best energy offer"; the answer depends on your consumption profile.
- There are two types of energy offers: the regulated tariffs and the competitive pricing offers.
- The regulated tariffs (tarifs réglementés) are not always the most competitive nor protective tariffs.
- If you want to be sure to pay less than the regulated tariffs, choose an indexed price offer.
- Opt for a fixed price plan if you want to stabilize your energy price
The French Energy Market
Historically in France one energy company was responsible for energy delivery and supply for 95% of France: EDF. Deregulation of energy markets in France in 2007 meant that this company was dismantled into two parts:
While several new providers have entered the market, almost half of French energy consumers still do not know that they can switch providers and are not bound to the previous monopoly. This is why you may have heard from your French landlord to "call EDF-GDF", to activate your energy accounts, when in fact you can call any of the competitive suppliers to set up an electricity service in France.
French Energy rates: Regulated Tariffs vs Fixed or Variable pricing
Pricing options for energy in France fall into two categories:
- Regulated tariffs for electricity and gas: sold by the historical providers (EDF and Engie). Their prices are controlled by public authorities.
- Competitive pricing offers, which are offered by both the historic providers and by newer suppliers. By choosing one of these offers, you can save on your energy bill.
Every provider uses the same distribution grid network managed by ENEDIS (ex-ERDF) for electricity and GRDF for gas. This means that every consumer benefits from the same delivery service and energy supply quality, regardless of the energy supplier.
Regulated Tariffs, Fixed or Variable electricity: Which Offer Should I Choose?
Last update: June 2021
Learn more about price options for electricity in France.
Regulated Tariffs, Fixed or Variable gas rates: Which Offer Is better?
Last update: June 2021
Learn more about price options for natural gas in France.