How to Cancel Your Internet Plan for Free in France
Whether you are leaving the country or wish to switch providers, cancelling your Internet contract in France doesn't have to be difficult! Find out how to cancel your Internet plan quickly and without headaches in our guide.
Cancelling an Internet Plan in France: What you need to know
Let Selectra help make cancelling simple! Find a free Cancellation Letter template in French. Do you want to change operator and be guided through this process? Contact Selectra free of charge on 09 77 55 72 27.
Cancelling an Internet plan in France isn't too complicated, nor is it necessarily expensive. If you are on a contract-free plan (a forfait sans engagement), you can leave your plan at any time without penalty. However, if you are on a plan with a contract (for a minimum term engagement of 12 or 24 months) you may be subject to cancelaltion fees (frais de résiliation) if you leave your plan before it reaches its term.
- A few things to keep in mind when closing an internet contract in France
- Cancellation takes effect 10 days after the supplier receives your cancellation request
- Unless you owned the modem, you will have to return all equipment (modem, cables) to the supplier
- Your personal online account remains active for 12 months following the cancellation of your account
If sending a request for cancellation by post, make sure to send your letter by registered mail (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception). Whether you send a cancellation letter or cancel by other means, don't forget to include the following information in your cancellation request:
- Your full name (first name, family name)
- Your account number (identifiant abonné)
- Your account ID (numéro de Ligne de l’abonné)
- The date you wish to close your account (make sure to provide at least 10 days warning)
How to Leave a French Internet Plan for Free
Most Internet providers do charge a cancellation fee (frais de résiliation), which on average is about 50€, in addition to the total monthly charges remaining on your contract. If you are under engagement on a 24 month contract but wish to terminate early, the early-exit charges are reduced to one-quarter of their original amount after the 13th month (thanks to the loi Chatel, which has greatly reduced cancellation fees). You also may be able to leave your plan without being required to pay a cancellation penalty for certain reasons (motifs légitimes), which include:
|Reason for cancellation (Motif de résiliation)||Supporting documentation (Justificatifs à fournir)|
|Moving to an area in France where the provider does not provide service||A copy of your new lease agreement or property ownership|
|Moving out of the country||A copy of your new lease agreement or property ownership, or a copy of your new work contract
For students, a copy of a certificate of your enrollment into a foreign academic establishment
|You were fired from an indefinite contract (CDI)||Your "attestation de licenciement" (letter confirming you're being fired/laid off)|
|Debt/Bankruptcy||A letter from the Bank of France accepting your declaration of bankruptcy and outlining a repayment schedule.|
|Serious injury leading to hospitalisation (inpatient more than 3 months)||Hospital stay form indicating date of admission and/or discharge|
Cancelling Your Forfait Sans Engagement
While you can end an Internet plan that is sans engagement at any time, in most cases you will still be responsible for a cancellation charge (frais de résiliation), along with any billing up to the point of cancellation.
How to Cancel Your Internet Plan With Orange
Orange charges 50€ for cancelling an Internet plan, in addition to the remaining monthly fee in the rest of your contract, if you are on a plan with a 12 or 24-month contract. However, as is the law in France, early termination fees are quartered after the 13th month of staying on the plan.
You can cancel your Internet plan with Orange by contacting customer service in one of the following ways:
- Over the phone: dial 3900 (or 0800 383 884 for fibre optic)
- Online: in your personal space (espace client)
- By registered letter (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception) to: Orange Service Clients Internet Orange TSA 10018, 59878 LILLE Cedex 9
Note that you cannot make a cancellation request in an Orange boutique.
After receiving your cancellation request, Orange will send you a box into which you will send back any equipment, along with directions on how to return it. Typically you will be asked to return it to a specific delivery point (point relais) that will be indicated in the instructions. You have 30 days to return the equipment.
Cancelling Your SFR Internet Plan
SFR charges 49€ for cancelling an Internet plan, in addition to the remaining monthly fee in the rest of your contract, if you are on a plan with a 12 or 24-month contract. As is the law in France, early termination fees are quartered after the 13th month of staying on the plan.
You can cancel an SFR Internet plan by contacting SFR Customer Service in one of the following ways:
- Over the phone: dial 1023
- By registered post (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception) to: SFR Service Résiliation, TSA 30103, 69947 LYON Cedex 20
You have three weeks (21 days) following the cancellation of your plan during which you must return your equipment, after which SFR may charge you additional fees.
How to Cancel Your Bouygues Telecom Internet Plan
You have the following options for cancelling your Bouygues Internet plan:
- Over the phone: dial 1064
- Online: in your personal space (espace client)
- By registered post (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception) to:Consumer Service Bouygues Telecom, TSA 59013, 60643 CHANTILLY CEDEX
Cancelling an Internet Plan With Free
Free charges 49€ for cancelling an Internet plan, though as their plans are sans engagement (without a contract), you are not responsible for any other charges. You can cancel your Internet plan with Free either:
- Online in your espace client
- By letter through registered post (lettre recommandée avec avis de réception), to FREE Résiliation, 75371 PARIS Cedex 08.